After being involved in an auto accident, the stress of managing all of the logistics can be overwhelming. From filling out paperwork and making phone calls to visiting doctors and tracking medical bills, it’s easy to get lost in the process. However, it is essential to your case that you properly sort your medical bills. While you could stuff them all into a drawer or filing cabinet, it pays to keep them organized so that your attorney can properly reference them when pursuing your no fault lawsuit. In this post, we’re going to discuss what documents you should keep and, more importantly, what to do with them to best ensure a favorable outcome in your case.

What to keep after your auto accident

  • Medical bills related to the injuries that you sustained
  • Disability information provided to you by your doctors in regards to your ability to work
  • Evidence of lost wages due to your injuries
  • Any out-of-pocket costs that you have incurred, including transportation to appointments, prescription costs and costs for any services you require because of your injuries
  • Attendant care logs. If your doctor feels that you need nursing-type services, you can have family members provide these services and get paid by your insurance company. (If your insurance company does not provide them, Giffels Law Office will give you attendant care logs to fill out and submit).

What to do with your documents

It is important to meet with your attorney in person to discuss what to do with all of your records. I recommend calling your attorney and setting up a meeting. I will be able to give you detailed advice on what to submit. If you prefer, I will submit the paperwork for you.

At Giffels Law, we’ve been representing individuals injured in automobile accidents in the Kalamazoo area since our founding. With a focus on people – not insurance companies – we are proud of our ability to seek fair, favorable outcomes for our clients. If you, or someone that you love, has recently been injured in a car accident, contact us today to discuss your case.

(269) 381-4172